Senior production chef
Funding: £4,000 via Apprenticeship Levy or £200 via 5% Co-investment Funding for small businesses
Awarding Organisation: Various
Duration: Approx. 12 months
Senior production chefs may lead a brigade team or may support the head chef in larger establishments. They report activities to the Head chef or appropriate line manager. They supervise production chef teams in a variety of kitchen environments, for example; schools, hospitals, the Armed Forces, care homes and high street casual dining or pub kitchens. Job roles include Head chef, Second Chef, Kitchen Manager / Supervisor, Cook. Senior production chefs have accountability for the day-to-day running of the kitchen service, producing, monitoring and maintaining consistent food standards, legislative requirements and quality across all areas and during all stages of production and supply.
Senior production chefs:
- Supervise and contribute to the production of centrally developed standardised recipes and menus
- Supervise the production of dishes to meet specific dietary requirements
- Complete, monitor and maintain food safety management systems (which include delivery, storage, cooking and service) and work equipment
- Identify training needs and assist in the recruitment of kitchen personnel
- Maintain the catering operating budget using nominated suppliers and ensuring the control of waste.
- Support cost reduction, improve performance, revenue, profit margins and customers’ experience
- Monitor service to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Lead team briefings/meetings
Candidates will learn new knowledge, skills and behaviours in core areas:
What the Senior Healthcare Support Worker on completion must know and understand:
- The organisation or brand specifications and how to use them to produce standardised menu items and dishes.
- Par stock levels, quality points and safe storage conditions for food items.
- The importance of monitoring the correct use and maintenance of food production equipment and the procedure for dealing with misuse and malfunctions.
- The importance of keeping up-to-date with product range, brand development, promotions and current trends.
- The importance of combining nutrient groups to produce balanced menu items and dishes.
- The importance of checking that the food production team is meeting the specific needs of individuals.
Legal and governance
- The importance of monitoring the team’s understanding and compliance with all relevant industry specific regulations, legislation and procedures.
- The role of the supervisor in ensuring due diligence requirements are met.
- How to support and influence the team positively to deliver a high quality product.
- Recognise how all teams are dependent on each other and understand the importance of teamwork both back and front of house in achieving business objectives.
- How to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures and how local demographics may impact the product range of the business.
- How to communicate knowledge to the team and support own and individuals’ development.
- The business vision, objectives and brand standards, and the importance of the team in upholding these.
- How to operate efficiently to deliver profit margins, reduce wastage and support the overall financial performance of the business.
- Understand how technology can improve efficiency and productivity within food production organisations
- How to identify, plan for and minimise risks to the food production, service and operation
- The customer profile of the business, its main competitors and the business growth strategy.
What the Senior Healthcare Support Worker on completion must be able to do:
- Supervise the production of centrally developed menu items and dishes according to organisational specifications.
- Ensure deliveries are checked and stored correctly.
- Monitor the correct use and maintenance of food production equipment.
- Acquire and share with the team up-to-date information regarding product range, brand development, promotions and current trends.
- Monitor the production of food to ensure clients’ needs are met.
Legal and governance
- Monitor and ensure the effective implementation of food safety management systems.
- Monitor and ensure legislative compliance and the completion of due diligence documentation.
- Support team members to ensure the timely delivery of high quality food to the specification required.
- Maintain harmony across the team and with colleagues in other parts of the organisation, identifying and dealing with problems constructively to drive a positive outcome.
- Use effective methods of communication and operate in a fair and empathetic manner that achieves the desired result and demonstrates a customer centric culture.
- Identify development needs for self and team and actively encourage and support individuals to enhance their skills and knowledge
- Effectively use techniques that support cost reduction, improve performance, revenue, profit margins and customers’ experience.
- Monitor costs, using forecasting to set realistic targets with the team.
- Effectively control resource allocation, minimise wastage and use sustainable working practices.
- Use technology to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Risk assess situations, identifying and isolating matters of concern, by establishing the cause and intervening accordingly to minimise risk to people and organisation.
- Carry out activities in line with business/brand values that actively market the business, support competitiveness and help meet business objectives.
- Act as a role model to the team
- Be diligent in ensuring safe and hygienic practises are followed
- Strive to achieve the required outcome and support positive, open communications that help team members achieve the best result for customers and the business
- Be solution focussed when dealing with unexpected challenges
- Celebrate personal growth and the achievement of team members
- Show passionate enthusiasm to provide high quality food products
- Take pride in their role through a consistently positive and professional approach
CALL US on 0114 281 5761 to apply today or download an application form here.