Level 2 INTERMEDIATE APPRENTICESHIP
Funding: £8,000 via Apprenticeship Levy or £400 via 5% Co-investment Funding for small businesses
Awarding Organisation: Various
Size: Intermediate Apprenticeship
Duration: Approx. 13 months
This Intermediate (Level 2) Apprenticeship is aimed at people working in the hospitality sector.
A commis chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and in principal the most junior culinary role. A commis chef prepares food and carries out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef.
The primary objective of the commis chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. Therefore having the opportunity to experience, consider and
value each section with a view to choosing an area where they feel most inspired. The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that this role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.
Candidates will learn new skills, knowledge and behaviours on their course including:
- Review/refresh menus
- Use technology to achieve best results
- Check food stocks, report shortages, prioritise etc.
- Prioritise tasks
- Measure ingredients and portions accurately
- Craft prep and basic cooking skills/techniques
- Using correct knives/knife skills
- Storing/using/preparing/cooking food
- Maintain clean and hygienic kitchen
- Store/prepare/cook ingredients correctly
- Work effectively with others
- Support team members
- Develop good working relationships
- Follow instructions to meet targets
- Usage/waste procedures
- Recognising and preventing risks
- 90 minute multiple choice test
- 3 hour observation in working environment
- 2 hour observation in controlled environment (culinary challenge)
- 40 minute professional discussion
- Grading (pass, distinction)
CALL US on 0114 281 5781 to apply today or download an application form here.